365 Days of Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Title: 365 Days of Wonder {Mr. Browne's Precepts}

Series: Wonder

Author: R. J. Palacio


Description:  A book of precepts, with one saying for each day, from Auggie's teacher Mr. Browne.

Rubric Rating: Level 4 - Love It 

Why I Read It: I’m a bit of a fan of precepts and it looked like a very quick read.

Notes: I really enjoyed reading this book.  Interestingly, I had this book and Wonder delivered at the same time.  Usually I would have read wonder first but I ended up sticking my nose in this one instead and couldn’t put it down.  While it did give away some of the plot points of Wonder I find I’m more interested in reading the book now than I had originally planned.  If the book is written with the same tone and care as this book I think I will find it delightful. While I had heard/seen/read many of the precepts before I did find ones that were new to me.  But more than the precepts I enjoyed Mr. Browne’s notes for the end of each month. If he had been my teacher in school I would have had a fantastic year. For a fictional character I found him completely engaging and if he was a speaker at a conference you could be sure I would attend.  I found that the book focused very much on kindness. A message that bears repeating – especially today. This book is great as an introduction to Inquiry in the middle school classroom.

Recommended Readers:  Everyone... absolutely everyone.  Teachers, Students, Adults, Children.  This book will appeal to everybody.  

Themes: Precepts, Kindness, Wonder, Anecdotes and Lessons, Grade 5, Student and Teacher Relationships, Friendship, Change, Social understanding

Cross-Genre Links:
Movie: Wonder
Character Education: Kindness
Literary Devices: Precepts and Maxims
English: Essays
Social Studies: Anti-bullying, Random Acts 

Inquiries and Activities:

  • What is a precept?
  • What is your favourite precept and why?
  • Why do Mr. Browne's students contact him over the summer and what do they confess?
  • How does Julian come self-realization?
  • Write your own precept.   
  • As a class put your precepts together to create your own yearly precept calendar.  Use your own and quotes that you like. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Poet's Dog by Patricia MacLachlan

Butter by Erin Jade Lange

Brain Jack by Brian Falkner